Saturday, February 25, 2006

Stupid Dog....

Buddy, my lab/greyhound mix, is chewing on his hind legs. He started doing this when we first moved. We assumed that it was the stress of the move, so we took him to the vet who gave him a cortisone shot and antibiotics. His legs healed up. Then, about 2 weeks ago, he started doing it again. It got to the point where we wrapped his legs up so that he couldn't get to the sores, but he didn't seem to be getting better. We took him back to the vet who did the same thing again, and didn't really give us any explanation as to why he was doing it. I don't want to take him to the vet once a month, so I really wish he would stop. At least we know to watch for it again, so once it heals up this time, if he starts, we're going to wrap it up so that he can't get to the sores. I just have no idea why he's doing it. Someone suggested that it's allergies and that it itches, so he "scratches" it. Where do I get doggy benadryl?

The baby gas continues. At least I get to spend almost 10 hours a day away from it for a week. This coming week is my last week of work for a while. I hope it goes well. I'm almost nervous as to how they're going to treat me knowing that I'm leaving. I'm sure that I have nothing to worry about.

2 comments:

overactive-imagination said...

Call your vet and ask him about the amount of benadryl to give him, he should know. If that doesn't work it could be arthritis. We had a cat get hit by a car and broke it's tail. We gave our cat (according to vets instructions 1 baby aspirin two times a day. The cat literally kept trying to chew his tail off. The vet said that animals will do that in response to pain. So maybe his legs are hurting.
Don't know if that helps but it's a suggestion.
Dawn

Rosa* said...

Yes, Dawn is right. It's probably either pain in the joints or an allergic reaction. When we moved, our weenie dogs developed allergies to some weed/grass that grew in our new yard. They scratched themselves and gnawed until they made ugly sores too. The vet gave them a combo of allergy shots and vitamins to clear it up and make them stop.