Friday, February 03, 2006

How to act like a new mom the second time around....

#1. Take a list of questions with you to the doctor's office for the 2 week checkup. I didn't do this with Thing #1, so why did I have so many questions with Thing #2?

#2. Obesessively worry about your child's poop. Oh, yes. She went 24 hours without pooping, and I called the doctor. And then I called again when she went 3 days without pooping. It's been about 48 hours again, and after consulting Dr. Google, I've found this is totally normal.

#3. Obsessively worry about everything she's taking in. I haven't, fortunately, taken to keeping a food journal of what I eat to see what might be causing her to be constipated. That might show me all the food that I shouldn't be eating.

Typical Second Child:

#1. Much fewer pictures of Baby Boo. I feel bad about it, but I don't have nearly as many pictures.

#2. Baby Boo needs a bath badly. But Her Majesty the two-year old makes that a wee bit difficult.

#3. Poor thing has very few clothes that are new to her. Hand me downs are great. (I being an eldest child never had to wear hand me downs).


So, I need to get a bathroom scale so that I can obsessively track my weight. I can say that when I had my last doctor's appointment before Boo was born, I weight 201 lbs (eek!). Three weeks or so after she was born, I weight myself on my parent's bathroom scale and was down to 175.5. That means I had lost the baby weight and then a little. I hope I haven't gained any back.

I can only stand so much Barney and Dora before my head explodes. I can feel it getting close. I guess that means that I shouldn't let my child watch so much TV. But, that means that I can't watch so much TV.

Am I the only one addicted to Project Runway? Waaaaaaayyyyy too involved in this show. Can't miss it. I have it set to record all the new episodes. Of course, I found the secret to getting my husband to let me watch it when it comes on (and he watches it with me). I rub his back. He gets a long backrub and completely tunes out what is on the TV. I rub his back almost every night anyway, so it's not much more for me to do.

I forgot how exciting it was to watch a baby smile. It's so adorable. And, this time around, she has her older sister to smile at. When the doctor asks if she tracks movement with her eyes, I can honestly say that she does -- however, she has trouble keeping up with her older sister. She does try though. She just has an adorable smile.

My 2 year old definitely looked (looks) like me. I think Boo looks like her daddy. I can see much more of his face in hers. If I mention this to him, he apologizes. How rude! She's a cutie. Is it wrong to call your baby a little monkey? There is this face she does where she looks just like a little monkey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my husband apologizes for our daughter looking like him too..what's up with that??? Im glad to hear that you are settling in well with 2 under foot...it only gets better with each day..soon they will be able to take baths together...we used to bathe #2 during nap time or after #1 was in bed...or you could get #1 to help by handing you the "soap" a toy, a towel etc... she'd LOVE it im sure... (sorry for the unsolicited advice...i do remember all to well how hard it is figure it all out!!!)

Glad you are back "on line" missed ya!! xo lyns

Unknown said...

It all sounds totally normal :) - so YEAH! It is a juggling act with two - I remember. The schedule will come - you'll find a routine that works for you.