Saturday, February 11, 2006

Potty Training, Day 1

After much research courtesy of the internet (yes, I broke down and consulted the internet), I have a plan. [insert evil, this-is-never-going-to-work laughter here]

1. I have 3 pairs of training panties. I will try each day only as long as they are dry. This shouldn't take long the first few days. So, we start each day with panties once the overnight diaper comes off.

2. I will make her sit on the potty for 3 minutes every hour. (This has required a bribe already -- she doesn't see a need to try unless she thinks she needs to go). For sitting on the potty for 3 minutes, she gets a little Nemo fruit snack.

3. Whenever she wants to sit on the potty, she does (and still gets a fruit snack -- I'm trying to encourage as much time on the potty as possible).

4. For actually doing something when she sits on the potty, she gets a sticker (in her mind, the most wonderful thing a child can get). The hope is that she will go (even accidentally) on the potty and get a sticker. Then, God willing, she'll put 2 and 2 together and want to keep going to keep getting stickers. At this point, though, I'm stocking up on fruit snacks rather than stickers.

5. I am resolved not to resort to spanking her or yelling at her for accidents or not trying. I don't want to make her afraid of the entire process. I have a feeling that my patience will wear a little thin, but then it's back to diapers for the day instead of yelling. I'm very resolved on this issue.

Things for me to remember:
1. I don't get 3 fruit snacks for every one she gets no matter how proud of myself I am that I got her to sit for 3 minutes without losing my mind. Not good for my diet. :)

2. She's only 2 years old and she will eventually figure it out. There's no rush.

3. The next one should be easier. [insert evil, maniacal laughter here] I can already tell that Baby Boo is more stubborn than her sister, so it will definitely be her choice or it's not even worth trying.


It is now noon on day 1. She has been wearing panties for about 3 hours and has done nothing. Nothing in the potty and nothing in her panties. Seems she needs more to drink. Time to break out the bottled water. She loves bottled water. Maybe that will make her need to pee and help her make the connection. Or maybe she'll just pee in all her pairs of panties in about an hour and we try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sarah A said...

Hi A, welcome back to blogging! Good luck with the potty training. I am dreading that! Sounds like you have a good plan. Oh, and congratulations on Baby Boo if I haven't said so already!