Friday, April 14, 2006

A Few Things I've Learned as a Mother

1. Noses run. Period. You cannot keep up with all the snot pouring out of a child's nose, so don't even try. It will only frustrate you and piss off your child.
2. Do not overpack the diaper bag. I will not need 5 diapers, 3 outfits, and an entire box of wipes for a 2 hour trip. It just means more weight to carry and less room for true essentials.

3. By the same token, make sure to include true "essentials" in the diaper bag. At least one outfit (including socks -- it's amazing how baby poop has a way of always getting on baby socks), diapers (just a couple), wipes, a bottle (or sippy cup), some form of snack -- cheerios or goldfish in a baggy, bandaids -- I keep a couple in a baggy in the diaper bag, and, in our case, gas drops. Never leave home without the gas drops. I also throw in a little receiving blanket because they fold down so small (and I have a million of them) and I will not let my baby's bottom touch a changing table at the grocery store.

4. I should never compare my child to other children no matter how tempted I am. I think everyone has been guilty of this at some point or another. We all want our kids to be the best, the smartest, the fastest, and the most developed. However, children will do thing on their own schedule, and I can't speed that up.

5. I'm much more patient than I ever thought I could be. Don't get me wrong, I still do a lot more yelling than I like, and my blood pressure will skyrocket at the sight of an entire bottle of powder all over the room (literally all over the room -- it's like a little powder fairy flew around over the bed, the play kitchen, the toy bins, the changing table, everything! nothing was spared). But, I still think I have more patience than I expected to have before I became a mother.

6. I can never take too many pictures. The best pictures I have are often one picture in the middle of 30 or 40 bad ones. I still consider our digital camera one of the best investments ever.

7. Sometimes I have to be willing to do things the long way in order to include Miss Priss. Do dishes take me 10 minutes when I do them alone? Yes. With Miss Priss's help? Upwards of 30. Does it make her feel really important and helpful? Of course. Same with folding laundry. Things that are a chore to me are fun for her.

8. Almost anything can be a teaching tool. Silly soap (you know that stuff you can buy at the dollar store that comes out similar to shaving cream) can be used to teach letters on the side of the bathtub. A car ride game for a toddler? Can you see any red cars (or white or some other common color)?

9. Whining and screeching (OMG, the screeching) really get on my nerves.

10. No one is perfect, expect the unexpected, and very few rules are set in stone.

11. Engorgement after having a baby is an interesting experience to say the least.

12. I don't need as much sleep as I thought I did to function.

13. I never thought I would miss being pregnant, but I miss the baby kicking inside of me.

14. Finding Nemo doesn't really get good until you've seen it at least 15 times. That's when you start noticing the little things they threw in (probably for the parents who would have to watch it so many times!).

15. I'm much more relaxed with the second child than with the first. Everything was so new with Miss Priss, and with Baby Boo, I am much more relaxed and confident in my own parenting.

16. Children's clothes are way more expensive than they need to be. I don't want to pay for the "cute" factor.

17. I can relate to my friends with children better than I can to my friends without children. I guess we can swap stories about our children that my friends without children wouldn't be interested in.

18. Miss Priss smiles really big when she is lying. LOL

19. There is nothing on in the middle of the night when babies are the hungriest. Thank goodness for DVR.

20. Little things (a hot shower, a long nap, a good book, a few minutes completely alone) can make all the difference.

Sorry. Having one of those days where I ask myself why I wanted kids. LOL

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally with you on the digital camera!!! We rolled out picure counter over 100,000!!!! Also with you on the second child confidence thing...w/ our second we were so much more confident and not so paranoid... by the time #3 came around we are old pros!!! have a great day...xo lyns

Sabrina said...

Amen to all of those! I totally agree with a whole outfit in the diaper bag. I carry 3, one for each kid. Dominic has peed and puked on himself during car rides so we make sure we're always prepared with him. He's the most work out of the bunch!

I LOVE digital cameras, they are the best invention ever.

Unknown said...

Some really good stuff!! I'm an over-packer myself, as my husband will attest. I also notice that I took less pictures with my second then with my first. Not intentionally, just seems that way.

I hope you've gotten a little alone time!!

Tuesday Girl said...

I never pack extra outfits besides Pjs. I have been burned by that one more then once.

Beth said...

Great list and oh so true!!!

Anonymous said...

Finding Nemo rocks!!

Anonymous said...

Im right there with you. Especially #7. Thanks for reminding me to be patient! I can't wait to watch finding Nemo again to see what I've missed.