Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Dumb Laws and My First Appointment

I found this website of dumb laws. Being from Texas, I naturally looked up our stupid laws first. A few of my favorites were:

A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed. I certainly hope this isn't a real law (I haven't verified any of these laws by the way). It doesn't make any sense.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home. This must be old. I'm sure that you can now get this information off the internet.

One must acknowledge a supreme being before being able to hold public office. This definitely sounds like Texas.

From Galveston:
One needs permission from the director of parks and recreation before getting drunk in any city park. I wonder how many calls that director gets asking for permission.

From Harker Heights:
Drivers of city vehicles must respect all traffic rules just like the rest of us. This was getting to be a problem?

From Lubbock County:
It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream. Because that's easiest kind to get to....

From Mesquite:
It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts. This one I happen to agree with....

From Port Arthur:
Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator. How do they enforce this one? Cop stands in the elevator asking, "Okay, who did it?"

From San Antonio:
It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo. For a Texan, this would be common sense. It is hallowed ground. Apparently, Ozzy Ozbourne didn't think so. After he urinated on the sacred site, San Antonio passed a law against it.

From Texarkana:
Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights. Where do you get these "tail" lights?

So, I had my first doctor's appointment today. It was not really a doctor's appointment, but a nurse appointment with
Gwen, my favorite nurse. Actually, Gwen seemed genuinely excited to see me. We went over the usual stuff for the 8 week appointment (I'm 7 weeks 4 days today). Nothing new there. She told me that there hadn't really been any changes since I had my daughter. But, there will be.

My doctor currently works with other doctors as part of a hospital group. He has his own office and everything, but the hospital does all the billing and stuff. With this group, there were about 5 doctors on call in rotation (hence the reason that Dr. K delivered my daughter, not Dr. B). Starting in September, he and Dr. N, one of the other doctors on this rotation, will be going into private practice together. They are moving to a new office (fortunately, it is just down the street from where he is currently). And my insurance will still be good. Great, no problems there.

The other change is in the hospital. A few year ago, 2 of the hospitals in the area merged. They kept both facilities under the new name. My daughter was born at the larger of the 2. They built a new labor and delivery/post-partum unit about 10 years ago. It was very nice. They built 6 labor/delivery suites. I stayed in the same room from the time I was admitted until about an hour after my daughter was born. Now, the company has decided that they want all the children's and maternity ward stuff at the other (smaller) hospital. They are remodeling and creating 14 birthing suites. This means that (theoretically) when I have this baby, I will stay in the same room for my entire stay. Pretty cool. And it is only about 5 minutes farther than the last hospital. Gwen assured me that they aren't changing the staff (nurses, doctors, etc.). Well, duh! How stupid would it be to fire all the nurses because you are changing buildings?

Speaking of nurses, our nurse when my daughter was born was so great. Can you request a nurse? I would like to request Harriet be there for my next delivery as well. Honestly, if she was, I would consider it very, very good luck.

So, then I got to talk to the insurance lady who assured me that I have great insurance that will cover everything. Yay! My benefits rock! Can I get a few more ultrasounds please?

Then, I got to do the labwork. 6 vials of blood. What are they doing? I'm sure they have lots of tests that they are running and stuff, but damn, they should have a couple extras with that many. I also had to give a urine sample. I bet money that I get a call from Gwen telling me that I have a bladder infection. I can kind of feel one coming on. She'll have to call me in a prescription. If I don't hear from her, I have a feeling I'll have to call her about it tomorrow anyway. I'm trying. I'm drinking lots of water and keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any problems.


My next appointment is at 12 weeks (actually 11 weeks 3 days) on June 21st. My husband will be able to go to that one. That's when we'll get to hear the heartbeat and everything. And it will be 2 days after my birthday. That should be a good week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe!! really liked some of those laws... just shows tht if aliens landed on earth in search of "intelligent" life.. they may not find any!!

Amanda said...

Those laws are classic! My husband lived in Katy, Texas for 4 years when he was in high school and he told me about some stupid laws they had there. I am glad that your appointment went well. And yes I think you might be able to at least ask about getting the nurse you like :)

overactive-imagination said...

Hahahaha.......those laws cracked me up!! I can't believe some of the things they come up with.

You should absolutely request the same nurse, if you liked her that much. In fact you should let her and the hospital know well in advance so that she can be on call when it's almost delivery time. I bet it would be the highlight of her career to be reqested at your second delivery.

K...now I'm off to do that meme. :o)

Dawn

overactive-imagination said...

Sorry.....I tend to talk to much. (can ya tell??)

I also meant to say that the birthing suites are FABULOUS!!! My second daughter was born in a nursing suite and at the hospital that I was at, whichever nurse you had when you came in stayed with you until you delivered so that you would feel comfortable without a mid labor shift change. Unless of course you are one of those who are in labor for 48 hours.
It was wonderful to stay in the same room the whole time. When it came time to deliver they just removed the bottom 1/3 of the bed and stirrups magically appeared.

Oh and the blood. They can't possibly need that much blood. LOL After I had my first daughter. I had bleed internally for quite some time from a torn cervix before they caught it so I was VERY anemic. Then they had a nurse come in every 3-4 hours to TAKE BLODD to get my blood count and see if it was going up. What's the matter with this picture??

Okay, novel over.
Dawn

Rosa* said...

-A-
Those laws are great. I've read some of them before. I love the one about tail-lights on the horses. Though my concern would not be where you buy them...but where you PUT them! LOL ;)
Supposedly in Alabama it's illegal to walk around with an ice-cream cone in your back pocket. However, in San Franscico it's perfectly legal to park your elephant in a parking space as long as you feed the meter, and in New York technically it's still illegal for women to wear high-heels while walking on the sidewalk. That law was passed many milleniums ago as a result of women getting their heels caught in drainage grates on the sidewalks and twisting/breaking their ankles. I guess the city got tired of lawsuits.

On a more serious note: congrats on your pregnancy! You will LOVE the birthing suites. Had them with both my daughters. Never had to change rooms. Had a couch with fold out bed for hubby, fridge, tv/dvd player, wireless internet, hardwood floors and lights w/ dimmers. It was more like a hotel room than a hospital.

Sasha@Pw said...

Those laws are so funny!

Sounds like a successful doctor's appt.