Friday, March 04, 2005

PD Day (aka Pacifier Disappears Day)

Limit sleep-time use.
Parents.com article on 5 tips for breaking the pacifier habit


Oops! I guess I broke that rule. I am fast approaching PD Day. My daughter is slowly but surely trying to give up the pacifier (called a dummy in our house--I'll explain in a minute). She's giving me all the signs. She only wants it in the car and when she's napping or sleeping (in case you think those two are the same thing, napping is during naptime and sleeping is during the night). And when she does have it, she holds it in her hand. She hardly ever has it in her mouth anymore. So, it's time for it to go.

Let me explain quickly where the word "dummy" came from. In Europe and other places around the world, they call pacifiers dummies just like they call diapers nappies. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my father was big into bicycling (and still is), so we would watch the Tour de France. One of the men who won a stage dedicated it to his son or something like that and held up a pacifier. The announcer (who was British) said something about the man holding the "dummy" for his son. Well, my father and my husband thought that was a great thing to call the pacifier, and insisted that no matter what I called it, that's what they were going to call it. So, therefore, we call the pacifier a dummy. Try explaining to a daycare worker who's heard almost all the nicknames (passy, binky, etc.) that your child calls the pacifier a dummy. They give you an interesting look.

Anyway, I'm almost to PD Day. Thursday, March 10th, the dummy disappears forever. Seriously, when I have another baby, I don't know if I'm ever giving him/her a pacifier. Well, we'll see when that time comes. I shouldn't rule it out. It would probably come back to haunt me. So I have 5 full days of pacifier use left.


I better warn daycare.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh ours is April 12th- Julia's 3rd birthday. Let me know how it goes and if you have any tips.

overactive-imagination said...

My youngest had a binky. She loved that thing! At about 2 I asked my DR. about taking it awsy from her and he said not to, that it was a form of comfort for her when I couldn't be there to comfort her, like sleeping, napping etc......He said she would put it down on her own and jsut to encourage her to do so.
and she did, at first she did what your baby is doing now, just holding it, just so she knows it's there. When she would get up from her nap we would put it in the corner of the kitchen drawer where she knew where it was and could get it if she wanted it.
One day before nap she went in to get it, looked at it and shut the drawer without getting it. She never used it again. Mind you though, it HAD to stay in that drawer and sometimes she would go look at it. It was so funny cause that thing stayed there for another year and she finally forgot about it. I still have it of course.
I know lots of moms take it though and I think that's up to each person individually and how their child reacts to it.
Good luck.

Dawn