Friday, March 18, 2005

Bye-bye, Binky!

Give your child loving attention and do whatever else you can to help make your child's life less stressful. That's a good habit for all of us to have.
Dr. Deborah Pearson, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, on breaking childhood habits

We have finally given up on the pacifier. As you know, I have been trying to come up with a good time to wean my daughter off the pacifier. I was tired of having to find one before I left the house and searching for one before bed, etc.

We had gotten down to just naptime, bedtime, and car rides. The car ride pacifier had all but been eliminated.

Then, on Wednesday, when I picked her up from daycare, they told me that she hadn't used the pacifier at naptime! Well, I knew that I had Thursday off, and I had been told that it takes about 3 days and day 2 is the hardest. I would be off on day 2. I knew that my husband would have a hard time not giving her one, so since he was out of town for a few days, I saw my chance.

So, Wednesday night, my mom patted her to sleep. And she did pretty well yesterday. She only asked for it a couple of times. We ran a few errands yesterday morning, so she wanted it in the car. But after our last errand, she fell asleep in the car. And she fell asleep with me in the chair last night (very, very unusual).

So, here we are on day 3. When I dropped her off this morning, they said that none of the kids had used a pacifier since Tuesday. We are doing well!

The funny thing is that I'm used to seeing her sleeping with a pacifier. She now sleeps with her little mouth open and sucks on her tongue (just like her daddy did). It's kind of cute. It's probably bad for her teeth or mouth. Oh, well, she's doomed for orthodontics no matter what (everyone in my family and in my husband's family has worn braces -- she can't escape it).

I'm thinking of getting the dummy bronzed. Not really. Tempting.......but no.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You can get their binkys bronzed?? That is just too funny! I won't be showing that to my husband because he will want to do it. Cool that yours gave hers up. I am not looking forward to that at all!

Anonymous said...

congrats! mine never used a pacifier. or a bottle, for that matter, but he loves his two middle fingers! nothing wrong with a pacifier, but i chose not to because it seemed cruel, for me, to give my baby something to soothe him, only to take it away later and tell him he couldn't do it. i also didn't want to have to go through that weaning thing. ha! but, i'm very happy for you! sounds like you picked the perfect time.

Sasha@Pw said...

Wow congrats on getting rid of the binky! We had a hard time with kiddo#1 getting rid of his. Finally we turned it into a celebration and ceremoniously threw them into a pond and had cake afterwards. :)