Monday, March 21, 2005

Lifelong Learning

By the time we hit fifty, we have learned our hardest lessons. We have found out that only a few things are really important. We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.
Charles Dickens


Things my father has taught my daughter:

1. To say, "Ahhhhh...." after taking a drink from her sippy cup.
2. To roll up a piece of paper and say, "Pow, pow!" while swatting at the air. She says it in a whisper because that is what he taught her.
3. To play with the microwave. He gets out a step stool for her to stand on so that she can reach. When we visited my grandparents house, as soon as she identified where the microwave was, she started moving chairs around to get where she could reach the microwave.

Of course, I can't really be mad. He hasn't taught her anything really bad, just how to have fun and be a kid. I should probably take lessons.

And, on the dummy front, we have not had a dummy since last Wednesday morning on the way to daycare. She woke up last night at about 2 am, and I heard her wake up. I was about to get up and check on her when I heard her say, "Du-duh? (her word for dummy) No!No!No!" Then she went back to sleep. It was so cute.

Just to clarify, in my defense, I never told her "No!No!No!" in reference to the dummy. I never made her feel bad for having it. I simply stopped giving it to her. She has done surprisingly well. I'm very proud of her.

3 comments:

Sasha@Pw said...

LOL, I love the "ahhh" after taking a drink. That is too funny!

Amanda said...

That is a good name for the binky- a dummy :)

Anonymous said...

Too cute! My daughter is obsessed with the step stool in our kitchen. If we are cooking, she insists on standing on her stool to watch. She yells, "I wanna dand my dool!" Then she takes a spoon and stirs water in a bowl and says, "I'm cooking. I'm making pancakes."

Elise
http://ladygrey.typepad.com/fish_out_of_water