Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A Little Lefty?

left-handed

ADJECTIVE:
1a. Using the left hand more skillfully or easily than the right. b. Sports Swinging from left to right: a left-handed batter; a left-handed golfer. 2a. Done with the left hand. b. Intended for wear on or use by the left hand: left-handed scissors.


I think that my daughter might be left-handed. This causes me no alarm or anything since I'm left-handed. My husband has already informed me that if she is left-handed, I have to teach her to tie her shoes and write and things of that nature.

Things that make me think that she might be left-handed:
1. She colors with her left hand most.
2. She uses a spoon or fork with her left hand.
3. She reaches with her left hand.

Things that make me think that she might be right-handed:
1. She still colors with the right hand.
2. She uses her right hand to shovel food into her mouth (bypassing the spoon).
3. She still does a lot with her right hand.

I guess it is yet to be determined. I asked my mother last night if my being left-handed might be influencing her. You know, the nature vs. nurture thing. Being left-handed myself, do I naturally hand her the spoon into her left hand? Do I put the crayons into her left hand? I'm not sure. It's not something I consciously do. But I wonder how many left-handed people have a left-handed parent. I don't. Both of mine are right-handed as is my brother and my husband and almost everyone in my family, so that theory probably doesn't hold too much water. Still....I wonder.

Another thing I noticed that my daughter does is hold a crayon "correctly." Most children her age that I have observed wrap all their fingers around the crayon (basically making a fist around it). My daughter holds the crayon like a child learning to write. She will even use the other hand (the one not holding the crayon) to adjust it and make it fit right. It's pretty cool that she's already developing writing skills although to see her "drawings," you wouldn't think so yet. They are drawings that only a parent would love.

So, in case you're wondering, YES, the drawings now decorate our refridgerator.

No comments: