Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Kindergarten Question

I know it's a little early.

Let me see if I can explain this.

It's time to register Miss Priss for next year at her pre-school. For 4-year-olds (she'll be 4 in August), they have a 5 day/week pre-Kindergarten class, and a M/W/F 4-year-old class. To be in the pre-K class, the child has to be 4 by the end of January. So, Miss Priss wouldn't qualify.

The problem is that I don't know if Miss Priss will start Kindergarten when she is 5 or when she is 6 since she has a late summer birthday.

If she starts when she is 5, I would like her to be in a pre-K program. If she starts when she is 6, she could do the 4 year old class this year and the pre-K program next year. The thing is that I don't want to decide now if she's ready for Kindergarten at 5, you know?

My options are:
1. Leave her at the same school where she likes the teachers (she would have the same teachers next year since they teach the 3 year old T/Th class as well as the 4 year old M/W/F class) and a few of her friends would be with her (I think) and send her to Kindergarten when she's 5. I would think that there wouldn't be that much of a difference between the kids in Kindergarten who went to pre-K and those who did not (at least not for very long into the year).

2. Put her in the 4 year old class this year, send her to the pre-K class next year, and then put her in Kindergarten when she's 6.

3. Find a new pre-school who will put her in a pre-K class, and then make the decision next year as to whether or not to send her to Kindergarten.

I can't believe that she's old enough that Kindergarten is only about a year and a half away (possibly). I know that part of the decision depends on the child, but what would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

My hubby and I discussed this very thing at length. We ended up having my son go to full day (5days a week) pre-k at 4. He turned 5 weeks later, in October. He is doing GREAT. He is one of the oldest in his class and I'd rather have that than being one of the youngest.

At that school, a child has to be 4 by Dec. 31st to enter pre-k (and 5 for K, etc). He couldve gone to K, but we felt he was not ready for pre-k last year, and K was gonna be too much for him to just jump into.

Now...

We have 2 more children. Princess turns 4 next week, and she will start pre-k this fall.

Our other daughter is 2, so we have a little time with her before she starts school.

You are right about it all depending on the child. There is NO rush to send kids to school. I never went to pre-k, and went to K at 5.5. My hubby was a November baby and was pushed into school TOO soon.

Take it a step at a time. You'll make the right choices.

Unknown said...

Here, the kids have to be 4 by Sept 1 to go into pre-k. My daughter is a Nov baby, so she's not doing pre-k until next year. I struggled with this with my son since he turned 6 right when kindergarten started, making him one of the oldest kids in his class. This turned out to be great for him.

Girls are different though. Can you talk to her teachers and get their opinion on her readiness? Whatever you decide, I think you are correct - after the first few months of kindergarten, they all get a bit more even.