Thursday, June 09, 2005

Well.....

my parents now know I'm pregnant. And I didn't even get a lecture on how we can't afford a baby. Actually, it went rather well. This was basically the conversation:

Scene: Sitting at the table with Mom and Susan (Dad hadn't gotten home from work yet). Mom is trying to work out times when we can visit my grandmother.

Me: I can't get the time off of work. I don't have enough days saved up.
Mom: Well, when are you planning on quitting?
No answer from me.
Mom: Are you just planning on working there forever?
Me: Not forever.
Mom: Are you going to school this fall?
Me: No.
Mom: Why not?
Me: I need my benefits.
Mom: Why? (starting to catch on) Are you pregnant?
Me: Yes.
Mom: shocked silence followed by, How far along are you?
Me: About 9 1/2 weeks.

Shocked silence continues as she realizes I have kept this a secret for at least a month. Then I proceed to go throw up. Wish I was kidding.

When I returned to the kitchen, my mother told me that she suspected for about a week now, but didn't want to say anything because I am sometimes (yes, just sometimes, hahahahahaha) touchy about my weight. Smart woman, my mother. She said (what my mother-in-law could tell but not explain) that I didn't look fat, but pregnant. The way she put it was, "Your legs weren't getting fat, just your tummy."

So, she called my dad on his new cell phone and said, "Well, your daughter has news." Then she made him guess. He guessed a new job. Then that we were moving. Then that there would be a new baby.

Both were excited. My dad asked me when he got home if I had just found out. Uh, no. I've known for about a month. Then he was mad that I hadn't told them.

Mom and I went clothes shopping yesterday after work. I am now wearing comfortable pants to work. Unless you knew, you'd never guess they were maternity pants. I got a couple shirts for next fall (long sleeves) on clearance ($9.99 for a normally $49.99 shirt). I have 3 new pairs of pants that I can probably wear the entire time as well.


Cockroach update (for those of you who are dying to know): It's still there. Yuck.

5 comments:

Sasha@Pw said...

Congrats on telling the family! :)

Rosa* said...

I'm glad your parent's were happy for you. It makes things so much easier. Mine fortunatly were better than I expected them to be as well. Mom seems to be happy and just said "we figured you would have another one." (Whatever the heck that means). Also, read my grandmother's reaction that I posted on a comment to filegirl's last post at www.filegirl.com. As for the cockroach issue...give him a name. I usually choose "Gregor" as an acknowledgement to "Metamorphasis" that we had to read in high school. It makes the little bugger...um..more likeable? If that's possible. Ugh! ;)

Melody said...

Glad things went so well when you told your parents...one thing off your mind. Hey...maybe a rat will carry away that cockroach?????

Alison said...

Ewww....a rat....I don't ever want to find evidence of one of those in the building. (I'm sure they're here, but I don't want to know!)

Unknown said...

I'm glad they were happy for you!! And yeah for comfy clothes :).