Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm sorry....

for the lack of posts. I'm not having a good week. Probably because I'm beyond broke and it's depressing me. I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for daycare, and it sucks to use birthday money to pay bills. I know that God won't give me more than I can handle, but what He thinks I can handle and what I think I can handle are way different. He has a lot of faith in me.

Anyway, I must say that I know that I'm very lucky. I have a wonderful husband who loves me very much, a healthy baby girl, and I'm pregnant with another one. If I could get the money thing in my life under control, I would be completely and utterly happy (at least I think that now because that it my one all-consuming worry). So, I guess I'll stop the pity party now...

Just 29 weeks and 2 days -- the pregnancy hormones will stop. That will help. We won't go into the other hormones that kick in at that point.

I'm really not as depressed as I sound now that I read back over that. I hope tomorrow's post is better. Maybe I'll try to post again tonight.

Now, I have been tagged by
Melody.

What 5 Things do you miss about your childhood?

But first the rules to this meme game:Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross pollination effect.
1. Loose Leaf
http://looseleafnotes.com
2. Lu's News
http://luann919.blogspot.com
3. Marti
http://marti2212.blogspot.com/
4. Melody
http://melslifeinanutshell.blogspot.com
5. -A-
http://motherswork.blogspot.com

Next: select new friends to add to the pollen count. (No one is obligated to participate).
1. Elise
Fish Out of Water
2. Heather
Was That My Out-Loud Voice?
3. Amanda
The Mommy Files
4. Dawn
Overactive Imagination
5. Dana
Craz4acop And Many Other Things

Let the game begin.

1. I miss having picnics with my brother and Cody. Since we grew up as just the three of us, starting when I was about 8 years old, daycare was abandoned, and my brother, Cody and I stayed home during the summer. Yes, that does mean that my brother was only 6 (and so was Cody), but our fathers worked within a quarter mile, any emergencies could be quickly handled. Anyway, we would have a picnic everyday. We would make up a pitcher of Kool-Aid (which means that we would have permanent Kool-Aid mustaches), sandwiches (my brother and I would have PBJs until Cody introduced us to the "perfect" grilled cheese sandwich -- toast the bread, put a piece of cheese between the two slices and put in the microwave for 15 seconds). We would put it all in the wagon and walk down to an open grassy field spread out a blanket and have a picnic. At about 100 degrees everyday. Never phased us.

2. I miss waking up early on Saturday morning to watch a show called Jem or Gem that no one I've ever met remembers except for me. She was a singer. I just remember that the vents for our heater were in the floor, so I would take my blanket and pillow, go out into the living room, and lie down so that I was laying just above the vent with the blanket over me catching all the warm air. The living room was cold, but I was warm under the blanket. I also ate unfrosted Cherry Pop-tarts every Saturday morning. They don't make them unfrosted anymore. It's a shame. Those were my favorites.

3. I miss swimming in Cody's pool. They had an above ground pool, and we would spend hours swimming in it having dunking fights and trying to make whirlpools (that works much better with more people). I also miss how tan I would get during the summer with so little work.


4. I miss school. Maybe it's less missing school and more of a nostalgic feeling of being in elementary school. I remember in 1st grade, my teacher would let us grade each other's papers if we finished our work before everyone else. Well, I was a nerd, of course I did! I also got lots of extra time to read (which was great!). Of course, 1st grade also held the horror of timed tests. I can't believe they torture kids with those. I hope they have done away with them. I could do the math easily (and probably within the time limit), but start the clock ticking, and I couldn't think at all. This didn't go away until at least 4th grade or so. At some point I must have gotten good at it though because I didn't have any trouble when I got to SAT and ACT tests in high school.

5. I miss the innocence. I miss the time when the biggest worry was whether or not so-and-so had decided not to be friends with you today (which also meant that you had to check with whoever made those decisions to see who you were supposed to ignore). Maybe that's a small town thing. Or just my town. Or whether you had to worry about being a faster runner than the boys (did that make you less appealing?). We used to play the elaborate games of tag where you would get led away to some sort of "holding area" (I don't remember -- we were 8 or 9) The goal was for the boys to get all the girls there. I could always escape. They just couldn't catch me once I took off. I would get caught once in a while, but once I caught my breath, I was gone again. Maybe that's why I never gained weight when I was a kid. Hmmm....note to self.....once the baby is born, organize a massive game of tag.....

10 comments:

Sarah A said...

A, Here comes the Internet to your rescue. I remember Jem. She was "Truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous. Wo-oh-oh Jem! Je-em is truly outrageous..." And now that song is looping in my head, so thanks. If I remember correctly she was like the anti-Barbie or something? A normal schoolgirl by day (and wasn't her name Jerrica?) but by night she transformed into Jem, the Truly Outrageous rock star. I think my sister even had the Jem doll.

Sasha@Pw said...

I'm sorry that you have been bummed but I know you will figure things out!

Alison said...

Thank you, Sarah! I knew I wasn't crazy. :) Well, not in that respect anyway. Isn't the internet wonderful?

And thanks to the joys of pregnancy hormones I'm feeling better already. Maybe it helped picking my daughter up from daycare. Seeing her makes my day.

Anonymous said...

I hope that things get better for you very soon. Maybe it is a small town thing because it was the same with me, Population 1500...back then it was probably even less. Thanks for playing.I remember that show too, I had forgotten all about it until I just read Sarah's comments.

Amanda said...

LOVED Jem! I even still have my doll in her box. You can buy those now on DVD. I think we should have a Jem viewing party and we drink everytime she says "show time Synergy". Well after the baby comes!

Anonymous said...

I was just about to post the Jem theme song but Sarah beat me to it! That's what I get for being behind on my blog reading. I loved Jem! I even had the doll.
If I remeber correctly, I was also probably too old to watch the cartoon or have the doll but that didn't stop me.

Unknown said...

I saw your comment and I'm glad you're feeling better!!!!!

And maybe I'm just old? I don't remember Jem....hmmm....

Thanks for tagging me...I'm working on the responses :)!!

Anonymous said...

I remember Jem too! But I don't remember the song - go Sarah. Wasn't it fun to be an 80s kid? Hey, does anyone remember an animated after-school show called the Beverly Hills Teens? I don't know why I remember that, but it was pretty much an animated precursor to 90210. Jem reminded me of it.

Elise
Fish out of water

Rosa* said...

Jem and the Rockers! Yea! They ruled! She went by Jerrica during the day, and had the sexiest cartoon boyfriend ever. I think his name was Rico. Oh, and she wore those star-shaped earrings that she would use to communicate with the hologram, Synergy who was her link to Jem during the day. Synergy would inform her of trouble coming and Jerrica would have to "disappear" and "turn into" Jem to fix whatever the problem was. The competition band...aka "Bad Guys" was a bunch of rough-lookin' rocker chicks called the Misfits. Okay..so I was WAY too into this cartoon as a kid. My sister and I even used that double sticky back tape on paper to design our own "Jem" earrings! LOL

Alison said...

I knew that there were people who watched Jem. I knew she existed. :)

Seriously, I was beginning to doubt my sanity and tell people I watched the smurfs or something because if I would tell my friends about Jem, they would look at me and say, "I don't remember anything like that." Then they would give me that look as to whether or not I should be institutionalized. :)