Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Part 1 of 2

This is my first post today. The second will be a blast to the past for a fun cartoon meme from Dana.

I called my grandparents yesterday afternoon to tell them about their next great-grandchild.

My dad's parents were thrilled. I got them both on the phone, and they were just so excited. My grandmother told me that she didn't think she would live to see her grandchildren grow up, and now she will have two great-grandchildren. They told me to take care of myself and that I'll be a great mother to two, etc., etc., etc. My grandmother also gave me a piece of advice that I need to remember when they're older. Do not ground your children for longer than you can stand them. She's very wise, my grandmother.

So, then I called my mother's mother. She's not always as showy with how she feels, so I wasn't expecting the same reaction, but this was how the conversation goes:
Me: Well, Grandma, my daughter is going to be a big sister.
Grandma: Okay.
Me: {What do you say here? I mean, "Okay?" Please.}
Grandma: I guess that means you're not going back to school anytime soon.
Me: {Trying very hard not to just hang up the phone.} Well, I will. {Might as well leave it for some unknown point in time}.
Grandma: Well, when you have two kids, it's hard to go to school.
Me: {Well, no shit! If you would like to pay for daycare, I can come up with the financial aid for school -- how about that} I know. We'll work it out.
Grandma: I was 42 years old when I got my bachelor's degree. Don't wait that long.
Me: I won't. {My husband told me that I should have said, "Well, that still leaves me twenty--twenty-five years?" just to mess with her. I love that man. I'm 25, by the way.}

The conversation continued with a little bit of take care of yourself and I hope you're not sick through your entire pregnancy like I was with your mother.

I think I've figured out why it bothers my grandmother so much that I haven't finished school. So much so that she tried to make me feel guilty every time I talk to her. Every time. She didn't care when the grandsons didn't finish. Just the granddaughters (damn my cousin for finally getting her degree -- I'm the only other granddaughter). I think the reason is that when she was our age, a woman got married, had kids, stayed at home. There was no other choice for her. For me, she sees having children and getting married as a choice to ruin my life if I could have done something more. I would love to stay home and raise my children. I can't imagine a better job than that. But for her, that is settling for so much less than I could have been. For me, it is using my talents and skills. Anyway, maybe my mother will quit asking me why I never call my grandmother now. Pregnancy hormones and grandma can't be a good combination.

My daughter understands that babies grow in tummies. Well, I think she understands. Last night my husband was lying on the couch, and asked her, "Where's the baby?" She walks over to him, lifts up his shirt, and starts patting his stomach. It was so funny.

2 comments:

Rosa* said...

I can sympathize about the whole unsupportive grandmother bit. But then we've discussed that before. I'm sure your daughter will have plenty of unique observations about where the baby is coming from before too long. My oldest will be 4 next month and she thinks everybody should have a baby in their tummy and doesn't understand why she can't have her sister in hers. LOL Plus, I'm to the point now where when one of the girls is in my lap, the baby kicks them. Try explaining that one! :)

Denise B. said...

Seems like there's always someone to rain on the parade, huh? Too bad she's related and you can't just cut her off ;) Good luck with that, and if you do snap at her, blame it on hormones!