Monday, October 02, 2006

What we want for our kids.....

We got Miss Priss's first evaluation (if you can call it that) from her daycare last week. Just going over the basic things since we have a parent-teacher conference in January or February. The first question on the form was about how they were adjusting to being in school. The answer was something about how she struggled at first, but now she likes it. There were other little things; apparently she is slower to join in group singing and stuff and prefers to just watch, etc. Basically, she's a shy child. When I started asking questions about it, Hubby said, "I knew I shouldn't have shown it to you."

What is that supposed to mean? He knows me too well. He knew that I would have a mini-freakout over what is basically nothing. In fact, I don't know why anything in the evaluation bothered me.

I started thinking about it. Why would it bother me at all if she was shy. If there was an evaluation like that from 23 years ago when I was her age, it would have said basically the same thing. So, what's the issue? That's just it. She's just like me. And I don't want that.

Not that being me is bad. Don't get me wrong. It's just that there are time in my life when shyness has been a major factor for me. I've always been more of a loner and don't have a lot of friends (in fact, I'm closer to several people on the internet than I am in real life). I could count on one hand the number of people that I am close to. And the number that I would share really deep secrets with is probably only one (my husband). This isn't necessarily bad, but I've always envied those who make friends easily wherever they go. I'm just not that person.

And I don't want my baby girl to be an outcast (and I don't know why I feel that she would be -- I was shy and was never an outcast). I never want her to feel uncomfortable in any situation or feel the anxiety (or anxiety attacks) that I have.

I know it's unrealistic to expect that her life will be perfect and she'll never get hurt, but I'm her Mommy, so in my perfect world that's how it would work. All of that from one little form. Imagine what the parent-teacher conference will do to me.

And, for the record, I do realize that one stupid form from her preschool when she is 3 years old doesn't mean she'll be a shy, outcast, anxiety prone woman.

Ah, the joys of being a mommy. It's so hard sometimes.

2 comments:

overactive-imagination said...

Sorry but I'm LMAO.....that would be my reaction to a TEE!! I would be thinking the exact same things you are.
Should I tell you not to worry? Of course not, that's your job BUT my dauhgters got the same kind of evaluations in elementary school and let me tell ya....they are NOT shy and have waaaay too many friends but Oh! do I know where this is coming from.

Mwah.........missed ya girl!
Dawn

Anonymous said...

it's ridiculous that this is my first comment here...

wanted to let you know that your heading for this post completely explains your reactions. i feel the same way about sebastian, who at 5 is not singing or raising his hand much in the classroom. but he comes home and if he chooses, tells me wonderful things he has learned.

you remember what it is like to be shy, and some of the scars. we want our children to emerge scar free. but remember, your experienes made you the caring loving and intelligent person you are today. without experiences, our children would be protected, and downright boring.

i don't blame you for worrying at all, but we're all in the same boat. your daughter sounds divine to me. from tess xo