Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's Never A Good Sign.....

when I wake up late. Not too late, but enough to feel rushed. I got dressed, got my daughter up, got her dressed, got her some fruit loops in a bag to eat in the car (hey, she ate breakfast even if it was out of a bag in the car), gave her a sippy cup of milk, grabbed stuff for me for lunch, grabbed my purse, grabbed the diaper bag, put the carseat in the car, and off we went.

Since I had a doctor's appointment at 9:30, I figured I should take her to get a flu shot before there was no point anymore. I called yesterday, and they told me that it's a nurse appointment (yay, no copay!) and that they do them between 8:00 and 8:30. Great, I could take her to the doctor, get the shot, take her to daycare, and go to my doctor's appointment. Good plan, right?

Good plan. So, yesterday I looked up the address on the internet (most up to date you would think). I had a pretty good idea where it was. This morning, I looked it up in the phone book to get the exact street address in case I had any problems. I was running a little behind, but I drove right to it. That never happens to me. I get lost very easily. However, there were no other cars in the parking lot. I tried to convince myself that it was because all the smart parents had already gotten flu shots for their kids. But, there was a sign on the door. I shook my head and told my daughter this was a bad sign. The sign said:

We will be closed Thursday and Friday of this week. I first thought it was from last week and hadn't been taken down. Realizing it wasn't, I got a little angry that when I called yesterday and said I was bringing my daughter in the morning, no one bothered to tell me that they would be closed (I didn't have to make an appointment for the shot). We will reopen in our new location on Monday, October 10th, at XXX Street. I tried to keep my cool as I realized that in the attempt to get my daughter her shot, I have called no less than three times in the past month, and no one ever said anything remotely like, "Hey, you do know that we've moved, right?"

So, we get to the new location about 8:15 or so. Shots are from 8:00 to 8:30. They took my insurance information and such. Afterward, the receptionist says, "The nurse isn't here yet, but she should be here any minute." Come again. She knows which location to go to. I shouldn't be waiting on her. But we did. She got there around 8:30 (or at least that's when we got called back). Got the shot. My princess didn't even cry. She was too excited about the thought of the bandaid she was getting.

Then it was a rush to daycare where I hoped to drop her and run. Hahahahahahaha, I should have known better. The woman in the office says she needs to talk to me after I drop my daughter at her classroom. Okay. Hmmmm.....what now? So, I get to the classroom, but no class. Not good. They were in the gym. So, I get her dropped off, give her teacher a nice, "Good luck today, she got a shot and daddy went back to work, so she's sleepy and grumpy and full of flu shot," and head back to the office. They just wanted to know when the new baby would be starting. Um...never. How much notice did you need before my daughter left? 2 weeks. Can't forget.

Shot over to my doctor's office. I didn't have to wait very long in the waiting room. Thank goodness. The nurse's assistant (I think that's what she is) took my blood pressure, weight, and urine sample. The nurse came in and measured me and checked the heartbeat (in the 140s -- she must have been asleep). I waited a while (not too long, though), and Dr. B came in. He briefly talked to me about how we're getting close, that no two babies are alike in delivery (too bad because I had the dream delivery with my daughter). Then he asked me about pain management during labor. I told him that I wanted an epidural, that I would like to avoid narcotics, but that I would keep my options open. That saved him the trouble of talking me into an epidural. Yeah, I've been through labor before. I have a high respect for anyone who can do it without drugs. I certainly don't think I could have. Everything looks good, no questions. See you in two weeks.


So, I go back on the 12th for my 36 week appointment. I can't believe I'm this close already.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I tried without the epidural and finally gave in and got one. Now when I know someone is getting close to delivery time, I highly recommend getting it!

Tonya said...

What a horrible way to start the day! This happened with me at the dentist a couple of years ago. I needed a new dentist, and his "office" was next to the library, the sign announcing Dr. So-and-So and Dr. So-and-So.

The day of my appointment, I get there and the receptionist tells me that he built his own practice and isn't with them anymore. When I called his new office and explained I was at the old office, the receptionist had the courtesy to apologize profusely. She said he had been in his new office for a year and she didn't remember to tell people any more.

So how about taking down the old sign?!

Hope your delivery is just as wonderful this time around as last time.

Unknown said...

Yuck on the whole shot fiasco!

Glad your appointment went well though. I had both of mine without an epidural (not by choice - I dialated too quickly both times!! GRRR!!) So, I highly recommend them :)