Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Last Appointment

We had our last appointment this morning. Surprisingly, there was no wait time. By the time I was sitting down, they were calling us back. Shocking, I know, especially for my OB's office. Everything looked good, urine good (no comments on how I need to drink more water this time), blood pressure good, weight, well, good enough (I passed the dreaded 200 mark -- I was afraid that would happen, but it means that baby is growing well, so I can't complain too much), baby measuring well, heartbeat in the 150s.

Dr. B comes in to talk to us. He asks me if I got the shakes (shivers, whatever) when I had my daughter. That's a no. Or at least it is as far as I remember. I think I would have remembered that, so I'd have to say no. He wants to make sure that I know that isn't uncommon at all and not to worry if I do get them this time. My group B strep test was negative. So, therefore, we are all systems go for next week.

Then he tells us that we should make sure the camera is ready. He's seen it time and time again. Batteries are dead. No film. New camera -- don't know how to operate. Um, okay, well, I know how to work my camera, I've already charged the batteries (although I'm sure I'll do that again anyway), and I've uploaded everything that was on the memory card of my digital camera, so it's free.

He also suggested that many of his patients get professional portraits done before they deliver. Yeah, okay, well, next time I have lots of cash lying around just waiting to be spent, I'll do that. As it is, I was barely able to pay my electric bill last Friday before they shut if off, so no pictures unless I take them myself. And, well, with the stretch marks and all, I don't know if I want to do that. I am thinking about taking a few of me and my daughter in front of the tree as a gift for my husband. I have a shirt that will match her little Christmas dress.

Then he asked if I had any questions?

Yes, what if my cervix isn't ready? What then? I don't want to get there and find out that I can't have a baby that day. He looks at my chart and sees that last week zip, nada, nothing was happening, so he decides to check me again this week (which I guess he normally doesn't do). Especially since I haven't had many contractions. Well, apparently something is working because I'm now 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated. As long as the little monkey decides to stay put for a few more days, we're all set. No worries.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!! Im so excited for you guys...all will be fine!!! #3 for us comes in 6 weeks...so not much longer for us either!! Glad that she is making some progress and hopefully she will come when you want her to!! He he...mostly MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! xo lyns

Melody said...

Whoo hoo...how exciting.

Shooter said...

Good luck! I'm due about a week after you. Will be saying prayers that all goes well with you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you're so close already. I sort of fell off the face of the earth for a few days but I'm now back reading blogs. Good luck with that baby and I hope she gets her head in the right place soon!!

Elise
Fish out of Water

Sabrina said...

Yeah we would be part of that bad batteries list of people. LOL It wouldn't work when our son was pulled out. We were so peeved.

Good luck and can't wait to hear more!