Friday, December 02, 2005

Why is it...

that people feel the need to tell horror stories to pregnant women?

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I got to hear the labor horror stories. I worked in an office with mostly women, and I heard about how I shouldn't have an epidural because they don't work. One woman's never took and the other woman's "went the wrong way." She told me that it numbed the upper half of her body rather than the lower. This was the same woman who told her son (at age 8) that she'd never had stitches except for when she had an episiotomy (which she then explained to him). Anyway, I've now been through labor and had a picture perfect time of it. I use my story to counteract the ones that are horror stories that soon to be first time mommies hear.


So, what do you get the second time around?

Well, people know they can't scare you with the labor stories. You've been there, done that. So, they start in on the sibling rivalry stories. Complete strangers. I've had more than one complete stranger tell me their stories of how their kids hated their new sibling and on and on and on. So what? Your kid isn't my kid.

I'm not saying I think my daughter will just jump right in and think that her baby sister is the best thing to ever happen to her, but I don't think she'll be trying to do anything drastic . I remember hearing the labor horror stories and mine turned out fine, so now, I choose to believe that everything will turn out fine with my daughter and her baby sister. If not, I'm sure I'll be asking advice from the parents who've been there and done that. But, I won't tell anyone my horror stories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Phooey on those horror stories. Every kid is different, as is every sibling relationship. I was worried about have a boy and a girl and how they would get along. Mine are 2 yrs and 2 months apart and for the most part, they get along great. They are 5 and 3 now and play together all the time, hug eachother goodnight, try to help eachother. They even stick up for eachother, which I find adorable. Having said that, they obviously have their spats - mostly about using eachother's toys, or sharing something. They always want to be playing, doing, even eating the same things off the same kind of plate, etc all the time. Getting two of everything avoids some fights!

But even though they fight sometimes, they have always been sweet together. I had my son help some with H was a baby. They will be great together, I'm sure!!! Big sis will show her little sis the ropes.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the horrible grammar - typing quickly! :)

Sabrina said...

It doesn't matter how many kids you have you'll still hear stories, I do and I have 3!

My kids are all under 5 yrs apart and they love each other. I think it's when they get in highschool maybe that we have to worry!