Friday, December 23, 2005

Just a few minutes....

to post an update. Yay, I made it through Friday at work! She can come anytime now. This afternoon would be good. I can't wait to sleep on my back or my stomach or anything but my side again.

My brother made it in safely, so it's been good to see him. My daughter just adores him. It's so cute.

Her last day of daycare was yesterday. It was so sad in a way. My husband is pretty worried about her and the havoc we're about to wreak on her little life, but I remember being worried when she started there after he first got his job. Again, a lot of havoc and she did wonderfully, so I know she'll be great.

My grandmother made it in safely yesterday as well. I'm glad she came for Christmas, but she's already driving me crazy, and I've only spent a few hours with her. Another week and a half is going to be hard. At least when my husband gets home, we can limit our time with my family.

I told my mother our plans for when the baby is born and introducing her to her big sister. We (my husband and I) really want it to be just the 4 of us in the room when we make the introduction. I told my mother this as a warning that we're not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but we don't want any more than that. Her response, "Well, can we come peek at the baby?" Um, did you not just hear what I said? I told her she could after we had introduced our 2 year old to her. Her response? "Well, can your husband come pick her up from the car in the parking lot? We're not going to bring her in and not see the baby."

I was like, what the f---?!! I ask for one thing -- ONE THING. I told her that was fine -- I'd send him down to retrieve her. She could tell I was pissed about it. She said that there was no reason for them to come up unless they were going to see the baby. I told her that we didn't want hours and hours alone, but at least 15 minutes or something. She decided that they could probably bring our 2 year old to the lobby and drop her off there (with my husband of course) and get a coke or something from the cafeteria and come back. We'll see if it actually happens that way. I think she's willing to respect my wishes (especially since she could tell that I was going to be pissed if it doesn't happen that way), but she'll have my grandmother and my father with her as well. I'm tempted to tell my husband to block the door if anyone tries to come in. He told me that they probably just want to see my daughter's reaction as well, but still. I don't have too many demands as far as things go. I don't want them in the delivery room, but she knew that was coming. I don't think it's too much to ask that my family respect our wishes on this one.

So, as of now, we're all set for Tuesday. But, she can feel free to arrive anytime before then as well. I don't know if I'll have a chance to post before then, so it might be after she's here before I post again.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my - good luck!!! Sounds like you've made things clear to Mom. Hopefully that works out as it should! I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear how things went.

Amanda said...

Merry Christmas!! Hope you guys have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Im all for you guys sticking to your plan as far as your daughter and new baby goes.... sometimes I just don't understand why people (esp. parents!!!) can't respect one simple wish... I think that its brillant!!! I think that its really important that your daughter be made to feel special as a big sister...this is HUGE for her...and she needs that time with just you guys and her new sister... before everyone comes in giving the baby all kinds of attention.... I didn't get that with my second...so from way up here in MA you have my 100% support!!! We'll be praying for a good easy delivery and a wonderful Christmas!!! I hope she holds off till Tues. for you!!!! xo Lyns

overactive-imagination said...

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a quick and easy delivery and recovery.
Good for you for sticking to your guns, I did the same thing when my second daughter was born. I held her first of course and then her dad handed her directly to my (sitting) 6 year old. It's one of my most valued pictures. The smile on her face says it all.
Merry Christmas.
Dawn

Katja said...

Merry Christmas and I really hope everything goes according to your plans and wishes. Good luck, cannot wait to hear about the baby!

overactive-imagination said...

Just wondering if baby has decided to make an appearance yet.
hugs to you.
Dawn

Sabrina said...

Good luck today, can't wait to hear how it went.

overactive-imagination said...

Beginning to worry.
Dawn