Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When You Were in Elementary School.....

Did you ever grow lima bean plants? You know which ones I’m talking about, right? The ones where the teacher gives all the students a Dixie cup with a little potting soil in it and the kids plant a little lima bean and then water it for a few days to learn about how plants grow or something like that.

I remember these from early elementary school, and I remember fervently hoping that my lima bean was actually one that sprouted. You were labeled a loser or something if your stupid plant didn’t grow. Anyway, that’s beside the point. LOL Well, in my house, the plant came home, we continued to water it a few days, it died, end of story.

Miss Priss’s class did the lima bean plants. And hers grew. She brought it home, and insisted on continuing to water it. No problem. I knew it would die in a few days and I could throw it away. Lo and behold, it sprouted new leaves. WTH? It’s not supposed to do that. And then it sprouted more new leaves.

So, we replanted it in a new pot with lots of soil since you could see the roots growing around the sides of the Dixie cup. And it sprouted more leaves and now it’s growing little baby lima beans. I have to say that I’ve never known anyone whose school lima bean plant continued to grow after it came home. I always assumed that’s why teachers sent them home so soon after they sprouted, so that they could pretend the parents killed them.

I’ll have to post a picture. I’m still amazed that the damn thing is growing.

Miss Priss must have gotten the “green thumb” genes from her grandmothers because she certainly didn’t get it from me. I can’t keep a plant alive. If you look through my house, it has no greenery. It’s not from lack of trying. I like plants. I think they’re pretty, and someday when I own a house, I will try to plant some kind of flowers, but I will fail because nature has made me some kind of flower killer. Maybe I’ll have Miss Priss plant the flowers instead. She didn’t get the flower killer genes.

No comments: