Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Panic Attack

I haven't had one in sooooo long -- until yesterday. I really freaked out becuase I had forgotten just how awful it is to have one. If you've never had one, consider yourself lucky; I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I fear that one or both of my children will have them. That really scares me.

I was at work yesterday, and I'm not sure what caused it, but all of a sudden, I knew what was happening. I had one a couple of weeks ago at work, but it wasn't bad and I talked myself "down" from it. I couldn't do that yesterday. I completely panicked. Since everyone is different, I will try to explain what it's like for me. For my father (who had them when he was around my age), he would have the muscle tightening in his chest -- feels like a heart attack. I don't get that. I can feel it start in my neck and radiate down my shoulders. It's a pins and needles kind of feeling (adrenaline rush). I feel really hot all of a sudden. Then I throw up. Until my stomach is completely empty. It's an awful feeling.

I realize that it's "all in my head" (I hate that phrase when describing anxiety attacks because my symptoms are manifested physically and are hardly in my head!) in the sense that my brain and mind are causing it and that there's not real reason to panic. But it's hard to stop once the feelings start in.

I went home from work -- freaked my boss out. She wasn't sure if something was wrong with me and the baby. She called my house last night to check on me.

I thought I would be okay once I left. Nope. Then, the fear of having another attack set in, and I had another one because I was afraid of having a panic attack (what a viscious cycle it is!). Trying to go to bed, I had another one -- same reason. My mind is really bad about jumping to horrible thoughts when I'm scared of panic attacks. What if I can't take care of my daughter because I'm having a panic attack? Had another one when my husband left this morning. Poor guy, I'm sure he's worried about me and the baby. But, (knock on wood), I'm doing pretty well today. Maybe getting my daughter to daycare and proving to myself that I can do that and get ready and such was good for me.

Funny thing, though. The baby was going crazy during this whole time, so I didn't have to worry about her at all. Must be all the adrenaline. Hopefully, her system doesn't process it as panic the way mine does.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that sounds awful! I'm so sorry you had to suffer through so many of them in a row. I hope you're doing better now. Hugs!

Elise

overactive-imagination said...

Wow. Hate to hear about that. I hope you are feeling better. Any idea what caused it?
Hugs to you!

Did you know they are inducing Dana due to high blood presure??
Dawn

Alyssa said...

That must have been a horrible thing to go through. I hope you're feeling better.

Amanda said...

I hope you are doing better. I have had a couple of those and they are yucky.

Unknown said...

Oh wow - I'm so sorry! Can they do anything for them? Sounds very scary for you - big hugs!

Glad you are doing much better today!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I have those now and then, it's always worse when I am pregnant! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Hi- found you via Kelli @ Real Life 101. I'm sorry about your panic attack- maybe you discussed this in an earlier post, but do you know what causes them? I've been having issues re: hives, etc. and haven't been able to find a physical reason for them and I'm feeling similarly re: I didn't think I was stressed out enough to cause hives. I'd be interested in learning more- how often do you get them, etc.