Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Picture Day

Last week, my daughter's daycare sent home a note that they were going to take pictures on Monday. So, yesterday, I got up early, got her dressed up in her pretty dress and put her hair in pigtails. She looked absolutely adorable (and even those who aren't her mother would say so).

Therefore, I was pretty disappointed when I picked her up yesterday and got a note saying that they would be taking pictures this morning. I asked the teacher (someone who had taken over at 4 PM, so she didn't know much) what happened, and she said that they hadn't gotten to my daughter's class.

I was pretty annoyed at this. I mean, what good does it do to get her dressed up and ready if they're not going to get to her class. What kind of professionalism is that? This morning, I brushed her hair out -- it looked good down, but I wasn't going to the trouble of putting it up. I dressed her in the only other picture-worthy outfit we have which consists of long sleeves and pants -- and it's supposed to hit 93 degrees today. I was prepared to beg her teacher to change her into the shorts I brought as well.

So, I went in this morning ready to ask the director what the deal was. Normally, I'm not confrontational and wouldn't say a word, but the hormones are in overdrive, so I'm pushier that my personality usually allows for. I had my whole speech planned out about how I had gotten her ready yesterday and how I wasn't going to order pictures since they were "too busy" to get to my daughter's class yesterday.

Imagine how I felt when the director met me almost at the door and said, "Your daughter was really upset yesterday about having her picture made, and we figured you didn't want a picture of her crying, so would you be able to stay for a few minutes to do it right now?"

Oh, yeah. Sure. No problem.

And she was right. As soon as we got into the room, I thought I was being strangled. Nope, just a death grip as my daughter clung to my neck. It got tighter and tighter as we approached the little table they sit on. I sat her down and sat down next to her, and she immediately started crawling my direction announcing loudly to the two ladies trying to get her arranged, "I sit 'n Mama's lap." Uh, no. Mama's not dressed for pictures.

We got 3 pictures. I bet not a one turns out. The problem is that I do want to get some pictures done for her 2 year old birthday (a month late, but she'll never know that), so I need to take her to JCPenney's. I was thinking this weekend, but I'm hoping she won't act like that. Eek!

But I did make sure she was changed before I left, so at least I know she didn't overheat today!

2 comments:

Melody said...

I remember pictures well when my children were little....always quite an ordeal...waiting in line with dozens of other children...some crying...some laughing...some throwin tantrums...it was so much fun. Now my daughter is a real HAM and love to have her pic taken...son still hates it though. Good luck at JCPenney's. Remember to SMILE!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I really enjoy your blog (first time posting)...I just read up on your last bunch of posts and I had to comment on the pacifier. How did that work out? My daughter was 2 in july and LOVES that thing. Ive gotten it down to just at nap and bed, but boy I am not looking forward to the day it goes bye bye. Ive tried telling her we need to give it to a friends baby and she says yes, then no real quick. Hopefully soon.