Monday, October 03, 2005

I'm Going To See The Director...

of my daughter's daycare about her biting. Apparently, they have concerns. Nevermind that they've never had concerns when I've tried to talk about it. "She's just 2...." "We know that they do this when they're that age...." "As they get better about using their words, they stop...."

This morning, I got a call from the director that she wants to meet with me tomorrow morning. The biting has become a concern. I don't know what to think. Part of me is mad that it has become a concern all of a sudden. Part of me is mad because she doesn't do this at home, so I'm not sure how to handle it. Obviously, they aren't either. Part of me is just pissy (probably because of hormones) and thinks that it's wrong to label a child as "territorial" when she was "just 2" before. Apparently, there's some magic line you cross where it's not "just 2," and she just becomes "agressive."

No, I don't want my child to be a bully and I don't want her to bite other kids. She's been bitten before, and I certainly don't want her to bite. I want her to learn to express herself and not just use biting as a way of getting what she wants. However, I'm not sure how to handle this since she doesn't behave like this at home. If she hits or pinches, she goes in time out (at home). She knows that acting like that is unacceptable.

I don't want her to be the biter in the class. Part of me is just worried because I don't want to have to find another daycare. I really like the one she is in. However, I think the meeting would be better if it was with the director and the teachers from the class -- they are the ones who have direct contact with my daughter. I think that's part of the problem. I never get to talk to her teachers. One teacher works the same hours I do, so I rarely see her. The other teacher usually has her hands full when I get there and doesn't have time to talk to me. So, maybe I need to see if we can schedule a meeting with the teachers and the director. I'll meet with the director tomorrow morning and see what she suggests.

No comments: