Thursday, February 24, 2005

What About Lunch?

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"
Pooh's Little Instruction Book, inspired by A. A. Milne


Have you ever been in the store and seen the mother pushing the cart along with a toddler in the front? The one where the baby says something that sounds like gibberish, but the mother responds as if the child was speaking perfect English? I am now that mother.

My daughter is quite the little talker. She has quite a vocabulary ranging from the obvious Mama (which she draws out like Maaamaaa and says really loud -- do you think it sometimes takes her a minute to get my attention?) and Daddy to other words I'd rather her not say.

I was quizzing her yesterday to see what all she is learning. She often surprises me by coming up with some word that I didn't know she knew.

Me: Sweetie, can you say Mama?
Her: Maaamaaa.
Me: Good. Can you say Daddy?
Her: Daddeee.
Me: Can you say Mimi (her grandmother)?
Her: Mimi.
Me: Can you say Bitsy (our cat)?
Her: Bisssssss.
Me: Can you say Fungo (our other cat)?
Her: Gugo.
Me: Can you say Buddy (our dog -- yes, if you couldn't tell, we are pet lovers)?
Her: Woof. Woof.

It was so adorable. We haven't really been working with animal sounds becuase I haven't thought to, but apparently she picked that one up on her own. Further quizzing revealed that she knows what sounds are made by cows, ducks, kitties, and dogs. I thought it must be daycare teaching her because I also caught part of an E-I-E-I-O in there somewhere, but then I remembered what my brother got her for her birthday. It's a little tractor with Old MacDonald, a cow, a duck, and a pig. And it sings....you guessed it....Old MacDonald. So, now I'm not sure where she learned it, but I'll have to remember to keep working on the animal sounds.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

This is so sweet! My daughter is just starting to talk, too. Unfortunately, when I point to myself and ask her what my name is, she says gleefully, "Daddy!". But when she wants my attention, you can be sure she knows how to say my name....

Love the Pooh quote!