Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Shaving Cream Art

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist when he grows up.
Pablo Picasso

I went to pick up my daugher from daycare yesterday. When I got there, she was only in her onesie (I sent her in overalls) and her shoes and socks. Cute, but surprising. So, I asked her, "What happened to your clothes?!!"
Her teacher asked, "Didn't you see the pictures?"


I walked back over the baby gate and looked at the pictures just outside of her classroom. My daughter started throwing a fit because, well, once Mommy comes back, she knows that she is going home, and she wasn't going to stand for Mommy to leave twice in one day.


Her class had played with shaving cream.
There were 6 pictures. Three were of my daughter.


The other pictures showed silly children with shaving cream on their hands and a couple of them trying to put in each other's hair. But, it was obvious that the best pictures were of my little girl. Not because she is so beautiful and photogenic and such (even though she is), but because she was covered in shaving cream. Head to toe. Hair, face, hands, arms, overalls, you name it. Her teacher informed me that they had to give her a bath in the sink and that she must watch her daddy shave because she started with her face.


I'm starting to think that my daughter is a little more free-spirited than most of the children that go to this daycare. I don't think her teachers mind at all. I think they find her refreshing. There's nothing like a shaving cream covered little girl to put a smile on your face.

And, on a wonderfully great note, she didn't cry when I left her at daycare this morning. Normally she starts crying as we get to her classroom, and it gets worse when I put her down. I knew she was doing well when we got in the classroom and I set her down without her crying. The teacher was giving out goldfish crackers (her favorite), so she went to partake in her share. And then the teacher got out the mirror. Another mother was leaving at the same time, and her daughter was starting to cry (oh, good, mine's not the only one). I really hated to leave the teacher with two crying children, but I was going to be late for work if I didn't leave. I tried to get my daughter to play with the mirror, but she was more interested in the blocks on the floor. She started stacking them up, and I helped for about 30 seconds while the teacher got the other girl calmed down. While my daughter was engrossed in the blocks, I walked away. I didn't sneak out--I hate doing that. She watched me leave and didn't make a peep. Yea!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this shaving cream story. How adorable! It's also really gratifying to come to day care and find out that your kid has been having all kinds of adventures of her own. Your daughter sounds a lot like mine, especially with the free fun-loving spirit. Our day care teachers have made it no secret how much they love her. When we return from a vacation, they always tell us how much they missed her! Your daughter sounds like a great little girl.

Elise from Fish Out of Water