Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Laughter

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
Victor Borge

I love my baby's laugh. It is so innocent and heartfelt. Whenever she starts, I do everything that I can to keep her laughing. I don't remember how old she was when she started laughing, but I can't remember a time when she wasn't.

What makes her laugh the most, recently at least, is a nerf gun. I shoot the little nerf balls straight up in the air, and she thinks it is so funny! I get extra giggles when it comes down and bounces off her head.

This morning she woke up early (yes, I need that extra half hour of sleep, thank you very much!). I pulled her up into bed with me. She laid down quietly for a minute, so that I thought that she was going to snuggle up with me. Alas, it was not to be. She soon sat up. Then she laid across me. I rubbed her back, and she laid really still for me. Then, all of a sudden, she rolled over. I asked her if she wanted me to tickle her tummy, and, of course, she replied with that beautiful laugh of hers.

So many times, it's the little things in life that we forget to appreciate. Laughter. The smile on the face of someone we love. Coloring in a coloring book sitting next to the little girl busy alternating between scribbling away, dumping all the crayons on the floor (for the 5th time), eating as many of the crayons as she can, and then getting mad if you try to take them away and put them back in the box.

No comments: