Thursday, June 14, 2007

Musings From a Bus Rider.....

I have now been taking the bus to work everyday for 10 months. I have never driven to work since I started my job last August. In that time, I have learned a lot of things (much more than you think you would learn simply by riding the bus LOL).

1. There is still some chivalry left in this world. There are men (from all social and economic classes, from all races, from all walks of life) who still will not sit on the bus if there is a woman (of any age) standing. Kind of renews my faith in humanity.

2. There are still a lot of a$$holes as well. I noticed the other day that some chick had a bunch of shopping bags taking up an entire seat, and she wouldn't move them for a woman who definitely needed to sit down. She looked like she was about to pass out, and I gave her my seat. She obviously needed it worse than I did.

3. If you have to have a phone conversation on a cell phone, the bus is not the place for it. We don't all want to hear your opinions on your best friend's new house and whether or not he got ripped off. And while you obviously can't hear very well over the bus noise, that's no reason to talk louder. If all the other bus passengers are giving you dirty looks, that should be a sign to call them back later.

4. I take 2 buses. One is an express bus from my suburb to downtown. The other is from downtown to my job (and ouf course the reverse in the evening). It's amazing the difference in the passengers.

5. I have saved a TON of money by taking the bus. I only fill up my car once a month (which is getting more and more expensive), and my bus pass is less than $3 per month.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a definite savings! Wow! Good for you. I bet it makes the trip go by a bit faster when you have interesting people. Or maybe not! I'd be reading books like crazy!

learp17 said...

Wish I could take public transport - our system here kind of sucks unless you're right in the center of town. We live in one suburb and I work in another so it's not an option, and the kids have to be at two opposite ends of the universe each day. The driving around is getting ridiculous!