Friday, November 11, 2005

Okay, seriously....

If my nose doesn't quit running, I'm going to go crazy. But, other than that, I'm feeling alright. I would be able to sleep better if my nose would quit running, though.

I get the impression that my daughter's not the only one in the class who's biting. The director had told me that when they have a lot of scratches showing up, they send home a note to all the parents asking them to trim their child's fingernail. That way the problem gets handled, but they aren't singling anyone out.

Well, when I got there yesterday, all the parents got a handout on biting. And how it's common at this age and not to worry. Is this for the parents of the biter? Or the parents of the children getting bitten? Probably for both. Fortunately, my child is neither the biter nor the bitee. I feel certain that I just jinxed myself by saying that, but it's been almost 3 entire weeks (will be 3 weeks Monday) since my little one attacked one of her classmates. At least she's not getting bitten.

Actually, I know who the other biter is. I hope her mother had to meet with the director. I'd hate to think that we're the only ones.

My daughter is definitely being a pill. I keep trying to remind myself that she's only 2. What can I realistically expect from her? Of course, the other night, my husband was lying on the couch and I was sitting on the floor. My daughter was starting to misbehave. I told her, "Come here!" in my best mommy voice. She walked up in front of me with a very mischievious look on her face. She then shuffled her feet and got closer. I was just about to talk to her when she got about an inch from my face. I looked a little puzzled and was about to launch into my speech on why we don't kick legos all around the living room (mainly becuase Mommy is the only one who manages to step on them) when she stuck her tongue out and started licking my nose. Just a couple of times like a little lizard. My husband had to put a pillow over his face to keep her from seeing how hard he was laughing. I was tempted to go and make sure it stayed there.

I do have to say that timeout is becoming a little more effective. It just frustrates me to no end when she thinks the point of timeout is to play with her shoes, hair, clothes, etc. If that's not an option, she sings songs. How is that a punishment? All is does is make Mommy mad. I'm trying to be more patient and selective in what is a timeout offense. I don't want her to spend her entire evening in timeout. However, I do want her to listen to me. I know, everyone who had older children is laughing at the fact that I want my 2 year old to listen.

At least it's Friday. Last weekend I made my daughter a no-sew fleece blanket with Nemo fleece. It was a big hit. We're going to the fabric store tomorrow to pick out fleece to make one for her baby sister. I'm going to let help my daughter pick the fabric. This could be interesting.

4 comments:

Rosa* said...

I've learned that with a 2-yr old, you have to pick your battles. Let the little stuff slide (like not picking up toys) and concentrate on the big stuff...like biting, hitting, spitting, etc. LOL BTW, what is a no-sew blanket and how do you make it?
(you can email me)

Unknown said...

It's tough - my almost 3yr old has selective hearing. She seems much harder to discipline than my son was - time outs were awful to him, where as she could care less. Girls!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your two year old sounds a lot like my two year old. We get frustrated a lot too but just keep on being consistent. The more you drum in the same message, the more she will eventually get it. Sometimes it makes you want to scream though!!!!

Elise

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about doing stuff during a time-out... Sela is like that, often looking much more triumphant than remorseful that she is on a "special chair" during a time-out. However, I try to ignore that and there have been a few times when the methodology "clicks" and she knows she has done something wrong. Good luck with it and I hope you are feeling better soon.