Monday, October 17, 2005

I Had My Last Ultrasound This Morning.....

Since I am 28 weeks, we did the second ultrasound of this pregnancy. The little bugger looks good -- measuring about 27 weeks give or take a little according to her measurements. Honestly, I put very little stock in her measurements and am not worried about the health or size of my baby. Measuring a squirming baby from an ultrasound is an inexact science to say the least. That being said, baby is approximately 2 lbs, 5 ozs from the measurements taken. Baby is also definitely a girl (still not sure what I'm going to do with 2 girls -- eek!). She looks good -- we got several of the 3D pictures of her little face. She's very cute even if she does appear to have a big nose. My daughter looked that way as well, and she doesn't have a big nose at all.

I had my appointment after the ultrasound (even though they were scheduled the other way around). My blood pressure is good (or at least they didn't say anything about it, so I'm assuming good). Baby is moving well. Heartbeat at 153. He showed me the graphs from the ultrasound. She's measuring just below average. So did my daughter. And she was not quite 7 lbs even though she was born "early" at 37w1d. He's no more concerned about the measurements than I am. He did say that the amniotic fluid was good. And that's good. The right amount of amniotic fluid means that baby is doing well. Apparently, for amniotic fluid levels to be at the right level, baby has to be taking in some fluid and it has to pass through their system (yes that means that baby is ingesting what came out the other end or at least that's how I understand it -- I could be wrong -- I'm not a doctor by any means). In order for it to pass through her system, her little brain has to be functioning correctly. Her heart looks good -- several good shots of that. Her kidneys are looking good -- both functioning normally from the looks of things. Stomach and bladder. Check. Beautiful little face. Check. Little girl parts. Check.

Oh, and she has a little hair. My daughter had long hair that was visible in her 28 week ultrasound. I'm talking already a half inch long 9 weeks before she was born. She had lots of hair. This one has a little hair, but nothing like what my daughter had. I think I need to find the 3D picture of my daughter and see how much they looked alike in utero. It would be a fun little comparison. I'm very curious how much they'll look alike. So, we're at 28 weeks. That leaves about 10 weeks and a few days to go. I have a little over 11 weeks until my due date, but I won't make it to my due date. That has already been discussed with my doctor. I will have a scheduled induction sometime in the week between Christmas and New Year's . No, I do not want a New Year's baby. That doesn't give me the tax credit I want.


So, I will go back in a month and then every 2 weeks for a month and then every week until she's born. My husband and I are trying to make sure we see family this holiday season. Since his work schedule is weird, it looks like I will be traveling to my grandparents' house with my parents for Thanksgiving. That's the big family Thanksgiving with about 20 people or so. Love seeing everyone, but not for so long. Hopefully next month before Thanksgiving, we'll have a chance to go and visit my in-laws. We haven't been to their house since Memorial Day or so although they've visited us a couple of times.

Then there's Christmas. Since the little bugger will make her arrival sometime in there, that's going to be interesting. I'm not sure what my in-laws are planning as far as visiting us right after she's born, but I know that my grandmother is going to be in town. I've already warned my mother that I cannot be held responsible for anything the pregnancy hormones say to her in anger. I'm sure we'll all be on our best behavior. Oh, I hope so. My husband is still working out all the stuff from work so that he'll be off for a little while right after the little bugger gets here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah!! Great u/s. I can't believe you're 28 wks - wow! It will be a busy holiday season for you, but what fun!!

Amanda said...

Glad that everything looks good!