Friday, July 22, 2005

Vocabulary of a Toddler

My daughter is getting to be a pretty good talker. Over the past couple of months, her vocabulary has expanded, and she strings words together into sentences. Some of my favorites are:

"Go 'way." This, quite simply put, is go away. She uses this if you're bothering her or if she isn't getting her way.

"I want do the dishes." Thank goodness. I figure in a few months, I won't have to do anything but the knives.

"Don't wan' it." This one is used to for anything you're trying to give her whether she wants it or not. Most of the time, she'll say, "Don't wan' it," followed by, "Mine!" (another favorite of hers).


Sorry I haven't been around. I've been feeling like crap for the past couple of days. A summer cold, I think. I just sit at work wishing I could go home. I did actually go home yesterday afternoon.

My daughter's biting has continued. I don't know what to do, but I don't think daycare is concerned. When I came out of her classroom the other day on our way home, the director was walking down the hall, and she saw my look of ....I don't know....exasperated desperation. She told me that they just keep working with them. They eventually learn that you can't bite other kids. I think if my daughter was older it would be a bigger deal, but she's not even 2 yet, so they know only so much can be done. I just want to know if my child is the only one, you know? Are there other little cannibals in the class?

Well, I'm tired of using my daughter and my husband, etc. So, I have to come up with some names I can insert to use for the members of my household. For the baby, I'm thinking Little Bugger. That's what I call him/her when I'm talking to my husband anyway. So, that just leaves me with two more names to come up with.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Little Bugger- daughter
Big Bugger or Mr. Bugger- husband
Baby Bugger- the thing in your belly

Then you can just say Little B, Mr. B. and Baby B

Thought I would help :)

Rosa* said...

Your daughter sounds like she is on the same "page" as mine. Bugga Bugga's favourite phrases are: "You can't get me" which usually precedes her running in the opposite direction when I am attempting to change her clothes, diaper, brush her hair, or anything else which requires her to be still for more than 5 seconds. "Don't Want To" in reference to "give the toy back to your sister" or "crawl in bed for a nap." and "Food..now!" as she pulls on your finger trying to make you get up! Especially a joy at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning!

overactive-imagination said...

I remember my nephew was always biting someone. The only thing that broke him of it was to bite him back. Of course you wouldn't want nor allow that to happen at daycare. Does she ever bite at home?
Maybe you should "practice" with her and randomly take things away (and replace them with something else) to see if she bites. Or let her play with cousins and stuff if she only bites kids. It's normal though.
I know it's hard feeling like she is causing problems but I assure you she isn't the only one. You're just being told daily, but so are the rest of the moms (about their kids)
Have a good weekend too!!
Dawn

Anonymous said...

How about hubby and fangs? LOL
I couldn't resist it!

I hope things get better with the biting. I broke my second daughter of biting by sticking her toe in her mouth and saying bite. I had no idea she would actually do it, but she did and she cried and she never bit anyone again. She was about a year and a half then.