Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My Doctor's Appointment

went well. I got there right at 8:30. I didn't have to wait very long. And, of course, my insurance card has changed. My insurance company decided that it wasn't a good idea to use my social security number for an ID number. So, now I have some random number.

My doctor's office has some medical assistant student working for them now. So, instead of seeing Gwen, I got to see Misty. Misty was supposed to do the little things (weight check, blood pressure, etc.). Well, I got on the scale. And Misty started adjusting the little thingys. And she wouldn't stop. It was pretty balanced. Good enough. Not for Misty. Adjustments continued. She had to figure out my exact weight. I've gained 2 lbs.

Then she wanted a urine sample. She left my poor husband standing around in the hallway instead of showing him what room I would be in. But, okay, she's new. She took my blood pressure and gave me a sheet (I knew going in that I was going to have a pap smear). Um, okay. Usually get the whole gown, but whatever. She came back in a few minutes later to give me the gown. I normally get to hear the heartbeat at this point, but no such luck. I told my husband that I wasn't leaving without hearing the heartbeat.

Marie, the nurse practitioner (I love her!), came in. We chatted and went over the usual stuff at 16 weeks. She asked if I had any questions. "Um, yeah, do we get to hear the heartbeat?"

"Well, of course. Misty's new."

So, that's what we started with for my exam. Listening to the elusive heartbeat. We heard it right away. And then it disappeared. When we would check my daughter's heartbeat, it was always clear and never moved. My daughter would punch and kick at the little machine. This little bugger runs away. Hahahahahaha, the jokes on him (or her). He (she) won't always have room to do that.

So, we did the rest of the exam. Cervix looks good (yes, I always knew I had a good looking cervix). No obvious problems.


And then we went for the heartbeat again. Apparently, most babies are a little more cooperative after being poked and prodded. And mine is no exception. He (she) stayed put and let us get a good reading on the heartbeat. It was 152 bpm.

So, overall, we had a great appointment.

And, I received clarification on what "creatures" are worth waking my husband up over. (Just so everyone knows, my husband wasn't actually mad or mean over the mouse incident -- we just like to mess with each other. I know that sarcasm doesn't come over the internet very well). My husband told me unless it is a mammal that is squirrel sized or larger, don't wake him up. Unless it is a squirrel sized cockroach (not technically a mammal). He doesn't want that scurrying across his face in the middle of the night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, so glad to hear the appt went well and the little bean is doing well too. That Misty sounds like an exercise in frustration though. Maybe she'll get better as she learns.....

Elise

Unknown said...

Yeah! Sounds like a great appt. Hopefully Misty will learn the ropes before you see her again.

Amanda said...

Glad everything is good!