Monday, July 25, 2005

Has Anyone Seen...

the pregnancy fairy? You know, the one who brings you a trouble-free, stress-free, wonderful second trimester. She has missed her appointment with me.

I am willing to grant that the first trimester will include morning (ha! that's a joke) sickness and sleepiness followed by bouts of insomnia. Lots of hormones and such.

And I am willing to understand that by the third trimester, I will be a big as a house, so my back will hurt and I will be ready to be done with pregnancy and holding my little guy/girl in my arms.

But seriously, all the books say that around 12 or 13 weeks, magically, you don't feel as sick, you don't feel as tired. Energy returns and you're feeling better. I'm 16 weeks, 2 days, and the magical fairy hasn't come to relieve the fun morning sickness that lasts all day, and I feel like I need a nap every afternoon. Apparently, when I filled out my appointment slip, I forgot to include that I have a child already who is almost 2 who is trying my patience and pushing me to the point of a nervous breakdown.


Oh, and I don't appreciate her sending me fun third trimester stuff ahead of time. If I wanted to know exactly where my hipbones were, I would get an x-ray. I don't need to feel them moving around. The backaches can go away too.

So, yes. Most of these are my fault. My OB's nurse-practioner told me to graze all day so that I never get too full or too hungry. Well, I try (trust me, I do), but I can't do that very well at work.

And I would probably do better to have a set bedtime schedule and go to sleep at the same time, get plenty of sleep and get up at the same time each day. It would probably help if I didn't hit the snooze 6 times every morning. Sometimes 7. It would be fewer if I had a normal alarm clock. Before this one, every alarm clock I've ever owned goes off 9 minutes after you hit snooze. Never understood where they got 9 minutes, but whatever. This one is 7 minutes. So, you can do the math. 7 minutes, 7 times per morning. Alarm set at 6. I get up at 6:42 some mornings. But most mornings, it's 6:49. Why don't I just set the alarm for 6:45 and get up when it goes off? Good question. Habit, I guess.

And a few careful back exercises designed especially for pregnant women would probably do wonders for me. However, I've never been big into exercise.

And the feeling of my hips spreading. Well, knock on wood, that only happened yesterday, and it better not come back. Or else I'm going to kill me a pregnancy fairy.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

I hear you about the snooze button. :o) It probably would make sense to set the alarm for later, and actually get up when it goes off. But the snooze button is just so darn tempting. I love gently easing myself into awake mode, and not panicking when I look at the time.

I was wondering the exact same thing. When am I supposed to stop being exhausted? The second trimester was supposed to be all rainbows and butterflies! Three months of bliss, they say. Bliss, please start soon! Thanks.

Amanda said...

Hey I am all abour killing that damn fairy! I thought I was crazy, but I cna't sleep either- that is a pregnany thing? Thank god because I really thought I was going nuts!

Melody said...

I hope that the pregnancy fairy finds you soon and that you start to feel better. It's been a long time since I was last pregnant so I guess I've blocked all the bad parts of it out.

Unknown said...

Everything seems to happen quicker with the second one, at least it did for me. Back pains, ligament pain, big belly (I was in maternity at 12 weeks with my daughter.) Everything.

I hope the fairy comes soon...

Do you have a birthing ball (or exercise ball?) That helped relieve some of the back/hip pain for me.

Ellen said...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had horrible morning sickness until 20 weeks or so. It briefly abated and then came roaring back for the third trimester. NOT fair.

(The sex got pretty good that second trimester, though, if I could just catch it between vomits.)