Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Crazy Baby....

Baby Boo is a determined little thing. I remember reading books when I was pregnant with Miss Priss on discipline, and everything talked about redirecting them when they were little. I had worked in a daycare, and I had seen this work very effectively. And then Miss Priss hit the age where she needed to be disciplined (or at least kept away from a few things). So, I redirected her. And she went back to what she was not supposed to be doing. So I pointed her in a new direction, and she went back to what she wanted to do. Let's just say that redirection didn't work so much as just having a "minimalism" look to my house. No knick-knacks anywhere. Nothing that would look "fun" for a toddler.

I found early on that redirection didn't work with Baby Boo either. She is even more determined to do whatever she wants than her sister is. Case in point, last night I was washing the dishes. She was in the living room climbing on the couch.* She was using a stool that came with Miss Priss' table that she got for her 2nd birthday. It came with 2 stools. One is in the bathroom that Miss Priss uses to wash her hands and brush her teeth. The other normally stays with the table in the kitchen. So, I went in and took the stool from Baby Boo and put it back in the kitchen. She gave me "the look." I told her she had no right to give me the look, that I had the look way before she did, and she should stop climbing. I took the stool to the kitchen and continued doing the dishes. A few minutes later, I saw her little back disappearing out of the kitchen into the living room carrying the stool. I took it back, and she took it back, and finally, I put it in the bathroom with the other one and closed the door. This is only a temporary solution since I've found that she can sometime open doors as well. Damn those tall genes!

*She has recently found her climbing ability. She climbs on the couch and even onto Miss Priss' twin bed. I'm not sure how she gets up there. Hubby found the pair of them on her bed one day, and got them both down. When he turned back around, there was Baby Boo sitting on the bed.

No comments: