Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Happier Update

Holy cow, when did my kids get so big? LOL

Miss Priss is truly an example of a child having a mind that soaks up information like a sponge. We watched a show on volcanoes, and now she’s spouting facts about lava and magma and assures me that daddy works near a volcano (which he doesn’t, so I’m not sure where she got this idea). She understand they are dangerous in some cases, so I’m glad I can tell her that there are no volcanoes in our area. She seems destined to be my math and science child just like her mommy. I can do okay in English and literature stuff – I love to read, but I don’t think I write well. I can edit things, I know comma rules and such (which drives me nuts because I always notice if commas are missing or out of place no matter what I read). However, I’ve always been a scientist at heart. Miss Priss seems to share this ability. She wants to know more….more information, more in depth. Currently, she is obsessed with the human body. She knows that we have bones, and when she figured out that they have specific names (femur instead of leg bone, for example), she wanted to know their “correct” names. Which, of course, forces me to think back to my high school biology and try and remember them all. LOL

She’s also grown a lot physically. My little “petite” child who cruised the 50% mark for about 3 years is way above that now. She goes to the doctor next month, but judging by her friends (she’s the tallest in her pre-school class even though she’s the youngest) and by her size (I’m buying 6 and 6X clothes! Eek! And her size 12 shoes are getting too small! Double eek!), she’s above the “average” now. The potential was always there for her to be tall (I’m 5’9” and Hubby is 6’2”), but there was potential to be petite (my mom is 5’3” and my grandmother is even shorter). Miss Priss is headed for another growth spurt soon, I think. She’s pudging out and eating everything she can get her little hands on – a sure sign that she’s about to shoot up some more.

And then there’s Baby Boo. My fearless child. She’s so different from her sister that it still amazes me. Where Miss Priss is very shy (although getting better – I should write about that too), Baby Boo doesn’t consider anyone a stranger. She even introduces herself to people now. She shakes hands, points to herself and says her name. And that’s not all she says. She’s got a huge vocabulary and is making sentences with 2 or 3 words on a regular basis. My mother warned me that the second one learns from the first, but she seems to have developed language skills so much faster. Maybe she’s just destined to be a chatterbox. LOL

She also doesn’t believe that there’s anything in this world that she can’t do. If her sister can do it, so can she (even if she really can’t, she’s determined not to let Miss Priss be able to do anything without her).

Baby Boo is hardly a little girl herself. She will be 2 in December, and her shirts are 3T (pants are still 2T) and wears size 7 shoes. So my monster children are doing well.

And I’m doing well. Hubby and I are slowly working through some things. He’s still gone most of the time, so I see him very little. This requires a great deal of trust from me since I only communicate by phone and he can lie to me if he wants to. I feel better when I see him. He can’t lie face to face without me knowing or suspecting it. So far, we’re seeing where things go. It’s hard, but I’ll manage no matter what.

And it doesn’t hurt to have an occasional ego boost. The girls and I went last week to the picnic dinner at Miss Priss’s pre-school. They had police, firefighters, a train, a pony ride, and a tow truck. A couple of the firefighters were very friendly and gave Miss Priss and Baby Boo some extra stickers and even let Baby Boo in the fire truck when they had just told another parent that it was full of gear and no one could go in. One of them assured me that I need a sticker (a junior firefighter badge sticker LOL) too, and he peeled it off the backing and handed it to me with a big smile. Hey, at least there would be one advantage to being single (not that I’m willing to throw everything away for an over-flirtatious firefighter, but it’s nice to be noticed).

6 comments:

learp17 said...

That is a happier update. I'm glad to see you sounding more upbeat. I hope things continue to improve, and that you and your husband figure out what you want in a way that works for both of you. How are the girls handling the separation? Are they asking lots of questions.

Still thinking of you and hoping you're all doing OK.

Sabrina said...

Woo hoo! Gotta love men in uniform! I also hope thing continue to improve. I'm glad the girls are doing so well! Yes Miss Priss is probably just like my Alex. Sometimes she shocks me on what she knows or says! lol Post again soon!

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I hope that continues!

I've been wondering how you and the girls were, so I'm glad you updated. Hugs!

Tuesday Girl said...

I am glad the kids are great.

Anonymous said...

Hey there..haven't commented in awhile...life is crazy, but know that you have been in my thoughts and my prayers... hope all is going well!! more soon..xo lyns

Unknown said...

Just checking in to see how you are since you haven't updated in awhile. I hope it means things are going well for you and you're too busy to update!