Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Finding "Meno"

A couple of years ago, Pixar and Disney put out a little film you may have heard of. It's called Finding Nemo.

Well, in a recent moment of desperation, I turned Nemo on for my daughter to watch so I could get some work done around the house. Unlike other Disney favorites, it didn't have too much of a story for her to follow, so I let her watch it.

I should have known it would be a mistake.

First of all, according to my daughter, his name is "Meno" not "Nemo." No matter how hard we have tried to fix this little part, she refuses to call him Nemo.

"Can you say Neeeeemooooo?"
"Meno."
"Neeee...."
"Meno."
"Can you say Neeee.....?"
"Meno."

Okay, fine. Meno it is. So, now I have to remember to keep calling him Nemo so that she'll eventually learn it correctly. But that's hard. He may be Meno forever.

Second of all, she doesn't understand that there are two different clownfish in the movie. Which is kind of funny when you think of it. I'm not sure how it works out in her head that Nemo keeps going back and forth between the ocean and the fish tank. Actually, I don't think she actually realizes that there's a story to it (although I could be surprised). I think it's like one big fish aquarium to her.

And lastly, I've almost got the movie memorized. I have to admit that I can actually still watch it. Every day.

My daughter's daycare has a fish aquarium in the hall. There are often kids gathered around tapping on the glass. I think they have a Nemo theme going on. There are two clownfish, a Dory (I have no idea what kind of fish that is, but most people know what Dory looks like), and a yellow fish like the one in the aquarium who gets really excited about the bubbles.


I'm sure that my daughter will want to watch Meno tonight. Probably in the middle of something I want to watch. That's usually the case. We start watching a show, and she will come up and say, "I wanna watch Meno."
"In a little while."
"I watch Meno."
"Not right now."

Then she walks over and sits in front of the DVD player silently willing it to start playing Nemo.

In completely unrelated news, my copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has arrived at my house. Let the reading begin. Except tonight is hair cut night. As well as do all the laundry and clean up the house night. And my husband is making homemade (well, sort of) pizza for dinner. So I'll probably do the dishes. And my little princess needs a bath. So, I'm guessing that when I wake up at 2:00 in the morning, I'll probably just get out of bed and go read. And I'll regret that tomorrow when I'm falling asleep at my desk.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Every fish that has ever lived in our house even the ones that we eat is named "Nemo" so I can relate to what you are saying. And I am more than half way through Harry Potter and it rocks!

Unknown said...

Nemo was the first movie I took my son too (at an actual theatre.) It really is a cute movie - even my daughter can be mesmerized by it now. Meno - too cute

Anonymous said...

Our daughter recently saw Nemo for the first time and now she's totally into it. She has a Nemo bike helmet (for her Radio Flyer tricycle), and she calls him "Name-o." Her mispronunciation of his name is so cute.

The other funny thing is that the movie came out when I was pregnant. We and our friends had started to call the baby Nemo, and then when the movie came out, it was so funny. So I always associate our daughter with Nemo the fish.

Elise
Fish out of Water