Thursday, February 10, 2005

Work Worth Doing

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919), Speech in New York, September 7, 1903

I love my daughter. Of all the things that I have done wrong in my life (and there are so many), she is the one thing of which I am most proud. Of course, I am immensly proud of my husband and the fact that I was smart enough to marry the man who was perfect for me. My family is the light of my life. They are what keeps me going through thick and thin.

Right now, our family is in the midst of a big change. My husband has been staying at home with my daughter since October. I think that he has enjoyed this arrangement as much as she has. But now he is starting a new job. He is working in a small town about 2 1/2 hours away. He has been there since Tuesday. From what I can tell when I talk to him on the phone, he is happy with his job, but misses my daughter and I very much. We miss him too.

My poor daughter has been such a trooper through all of this. First, daddy left town for a few days. Then, she and I are staying with my parents while my husband is out of town. So, she's not even in her normal environment (although she's pretty familiar with my parents' house, so that doesn't cause too much trouble). On top of all that, she had to start going to daycare. Now she went to daycare from the time that she was 7 weeks old until last October, but she has been out for 3 months. So, that is just one more disruption in her life.

She's doing very well at daycare I'm happy to report. Yesterday was her first day, and I called at lunch to check on her. The conversation went something like this:

Daycare: *** *** Child Development Center, may I help you?

Me: Yes, my daughter started there today, and I wanted to call and check on her.

Daycare: Do you know what class she's in? No, I just dropped her off at the first classroom I thought looked nice.

Me: The 18-24 month old class.

Daycare: Do you know the room number? Of course not, I've only dropped her off one time, and I didn't happen to note the room number.

Me: No, I'm afraid not.

Daycare: Do you know who her teachers are? Score one for me for remembering the teacher's name!

Me: Miss Angela.

Daycare: Okay. Hold please.

Holding...Holding...Holding...

Daycare: They said that she is doing well (Woohoo!) and that she ate about half of her lunch (Again, woohoo--that's a lot for her) and threw the rest on the floor. That's my girl.


1 comment:

Rosa* said...

A, thanks for the comment on my site. I can certainly sympathize with your plight. I am a stay at home mom, but I run my own AVON business out of my home, and am an administrative assistant for our District Sales Manager as well, which means when I'm not chasing kids, fixing meals, doing laundry, changing diapers, etc...I'm on the phone or the computer all day long. Plus...we just found out that we are expecting our third child in October. Whew!